3. listopadu 2018

William Boyd: Any Human Heart: The Intimate Journals of Logan Mountstuart (2002)

“Every life is both ordinary and extraordinary - it is the respective proportion of those two categories that make that life appear interesting or humdrum.”

zdroj: ebay.com
Any Human Heart jsem měla na seznamu od toho, co jsem sedm let zpátky viděla seriálovou adaptaci. Trvalo mi roky, než jsem se dostala ke knížce v originálním znění a když jsem ji konečně začala číst, trochu se to pro mě táhlo. Deníky ze školy a univerzity byla taková klasická zkušenost dospívajícího chlapce v anglofonní zemi, které prostě neumím ocenit a popravdě jsou po těch letech studia tak na jedno brdo, že mi nic nedávají. Jakmile se Logan v životě posunul a na scénu přišla Freya, knížka pro mě hned začala být zajímavější, bohužel jsem ji ale musela vrátit před Loganovým odjezdem do New Yorku a dostala se k ní zase až po půl roce. Tentokrát mě nečekal ten pomalý rozjezd a dočetla jsem to snad za tři dny. Musím říct, že druhou polovinu jsem si užila mnohem víc, byť mě mrzelo, že jsem nenavázala přímo na Loganova válečná léta a moc jsem si z nich nepamatovala. Jinak jsem ale fakt ráda, že jsem knížku dočetla. William Boyd odvedl neskutečnou práci s tak detailní konstrukcí celého jednoho života a jeho zasazením do historických událostí, z formy knížky jsem byla úplně na větvi a jazykově je taky úžasná (což je ovšem u autora standard). Mám teď hroznou chuť zopakovat si minisérii.

Are our lives just aggregate of the lies we've told? It is possible to live reasonably without lying? Do lies form the natural foundation of all human relationships, the thread that stitches our individual selves together?

Isn‘t this how life turns out, more often than not? It refuses to conform to your needs – the narrative needs that you feel are essential to give rough shape to your time on this earth.

As I write this I feel that draining, hollowing helplessness that genuine love for another produces in you. It's at these moments that we know that we are going to die.

That's all your life amounts to in the end: the aggregate of all the good luck and the bad luck you experience. Everything is explained by that simple formula. Tot it up – look at the respective piles. There's nothing you can do about it: nobody shares it out, allocates it to this one or that, it just happens. We must quietly suffer the laws of man's condition, as Montaigne says.

Here's a dark thought for a dark night: we all want a sudden death but we know we're not all going to be provided with one. So our end will be our ultimate bit of good luck of bad luck - the final addition to the respective piles. But nature does offer some form of consolation [...]. The more drawn out, painful and undignified our dying, the more we long for death - we can't wait for life to end, we're in a hurry, hungry for oblivion. [...] Now I'm in my eighties [...] I find myself asking the universe for one more piece of good luck. A sudden exit, please. Just switch the lights out.

You must live the life you have been given.

And for some reason it makes me contemplate my own life, all my sporadic highs and appalling lows, my brief triumphs and terrible losses and I say, no, no, I don't envy you - [...] I experience it - [...] a strange sense of pride: pride in all I've done and lived through, proud to think of the thousands of people I've met and known and the few I've loved. Play on, boys and girls [...]. I wonder if any out you will live as well as I have done.